2011-01-01

First day of 2011

Hello everyone!

Today is the first day of 2011. 2010 has been a very interesting year for me. It's gonna be a bit attention whoring in the beginning of this little text but it's just in the early parts.

At the start of 2010 I was really lost. I knew what i wanted to do with my life, to become a game developer, but I didn't know how. Well learn programming of course but I failed to see how game development really worked. I despised math above all else, worthless numbers without any form of practical usage I though. Why do I have to waste time learning these meaningless equations and formulas? I didn't study math serious at all during those days.

Sometime early in 2010 my dad took me to a university his friend worked at. A game development university. There I got to walk around, listen to what the teachers had to say about game programming and game development, I even got recommended a program to start developing games in. Suddenly, my motivation spiked. The program i got recommended is called Game maker. It uses a built-in scripting language called gml (Game maker language) and is very simple. An idea popped up in my mind. What if I, my friend William, and my other friend Sohrab made a game? I'd do the programming, William would do the graphics and Sohrab the design. I presented the idea and we started to work on a 2D fighting game. It was really fun even though it was really simple stuff. I spent the lunch hours debugging the simple script source code and I found out that I really enjoyed it. By starting to program in gml I learned that math was really, really useful. It was critical in programming. Thus, I began to focus harder on the math, passing the course, barely. The game we developed was never completed, a scrapped project. Doesn't matter though, what matters is that it opened my eyes to the world of programming and game development, a world I want to be part of.

March 2010, I sold my computer and decided to build a new one. This was the first time I built a computer from nothing but loose components. I managed to get it to work though and I now have a really nice computer that suit my needs while gaming, programming or watching movies. This was also an important step in 2010 since it helped me to develop a more in depth understanding of computer components.
 
For those of you that are curious about the computer, here is a video I made to preserve the memories of building it.



During the summer in 2010 I spent my days on a peaceful island called Gotland. One has to balance the amount of country and the amount of urban areas one dwell in. When I get tired of the city, I go to the countryside. When I get tired of the countryside, I go to the city again. On Gotland I had a really great time, me and my friend Linus, which I lived at, played Napoleon: Total war during the afternoons, after getting home from the fields. When Linus's parents got home, we started to work again, making dinner, walking the dog, etc etc. T'is was a great summer and I really want to go working there this summer as well.

After the summer ended, school started, and so, E/PoF started. Thus, the events after that is already covered by other posts.


Now for my recent activities.
Since I encountered the problem with multiple paintComponents i rewrote the code to use a single paintComponent that painted images from polymorphic image arrays. The idea will work since it worked with two paintComponents, unfortunately I lack more in depth knowledge about graphics programming and paintComponents. To solve this I ordered two books for the money I received on Christmas. Since the delivery companies between United Kingdom and Sweden is a bit slow, I am still waiting for those books, estimated arrival time: January 6th. Until then i am afraid i can't tackle the problem. I suspect Yume 0.2.0 is well on it's way though since I have basically rewritten the entire image inheritance system including the paintComponents(s).

//Kurten

No comments:

Post a Comment